I am delighted that you are interested in learning more about these suspense-filled mysteries set in the lush environs of Hawaiʻi. The unusual puzzles that journalist Natalie Seachrist, Miss Una (her fleet-footed feline companion), and retired homicide detective Keʻoni Hewett explore are revealed by her evocative dreams and visions that move between the present and the past. The series is seasoned with elements of multiculturalism, pan-Pacific history, the paranormal, and subtle romance. Included are several elements of classic literature: cast of characters; chapter quotes; page number folio art; prologue and epilogue; notes and acknowledgements; brief overview
of the Hawaiian language; annotated glossary of non-English and specialized terms.
Sub-themes are sprinkled within the layered stories, which are told in a first-person narrative. Stream of consciousness passages express the protagonist’s thought processes. This allows readers to experience the unfolding of each investigation in tandem with Natalie, who constantly seeks the truth of the situation, as well as the answer to Who dun it? Throughout the series I share the feelings, uncertainties, and sometimes humorous asides, of characters of varied ages and backgrounds. Their relationships and backstories are designed to lead readers more deeply into Natalie’s world. My goal for each book is to offer a conclusion that is intellectually as well as emotionally satisfying. Having said that, I must alert you to vague details that may appear to be irrelevant. I assure you that these unsolved mini-mysteries will be unveiled in subsequent books.
On sunny days and rain-filled nights, I invite you to settle back in your recliner with one of Natalie’s stories. What will make it a page turner for you? The rich characteristics of Island living? Your desire to pursue overlapping story lines? The historical and multi-cultural aspects? Maybe Natalie’s wonderment at her expanding visions will draw your attention. Or, perhaps you’ll want to learn more about the characters, both living and deceased.
1. How would you describe this book? 2. How original and unique was this book? 3. What feelings did this book evoke for you? 4. What did you enjoy the most and least about this book? 5. If you were the publisher, is there anything you would delete? Is there anything you would add? 6. What is your favorite quote from the book? What makes this quote memorable? 7. Would you recommend this book to other readers? Why or why not?
Author Jeanne Burrows-Johnson
8. How well do you think the author built the world of her book? 9. What themes does the book express? 10. Have you read other works by this author? How do they compare to this book? 11. If you got the chance to ask this author one question, what would it be? 12. Would you read another book by this author? Why or why not? 13. If you got the chance to ask this author one question, what would it be? 14. Would you read another book by this author? Why or why not?
Art and Layout
15. What do you think of the book’s cover? 16. How well does the cover convey what the book is about? 17. What did you enjoy about the book’s format? Cast of characters? Chapter quotes? Folio art around page numbers? Notes? Summary overview of Hawaiian? Glossary of non-English and specialized terms?
18. What did you enjoy most about the setting of this book? 19. Did you feel you were experiencing the setting? 20. Were all of your senses (sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch) stirred by this book? 21. Which places mentioned in the book (or series) would you like to visit?
22. Did the book’s pace seem too fast/too slow/just right? 23. Did the Prologue invite you to read further? 24. Did the Epilogue leave you feeling satisfied? 25. At what point did you think you had discovered the murderer? 26. What surprised you in the plotline? 27. What elements do you think will be explored in subsequent books in the series?
Cast of Characters
28. Did the characters seem believable to you? Did they remind you of anyone in your life…in television or film? 29. Which characters did you find the most or least likeable? 30. Which character in the book would you most like to meet? 31. Are you interested in learning more about the characters’ lives in future books? 32. If you were making a movie of this book, who would you cast for which characters?
33. What did you learn from the historical details included in this book? 34. What historical events would you like to explore further? 35. Do you think this series is a good platform for relating? 36. Do you think this series is a good platform for relating aspects of history and culture? 37. What do you think about the author’s research? 38. Were there any gaps you wish the author had filled?
My wonderful editor Viki Gillespie has finished working her magic on Yen For Murder, the fourth book in the series. I've begun shaping A Spineless Murder. It's amazing how many sub-plots and themes...and even a bit of left-over text...I have moved into that manuscript.
Thank you again for your support!
Aloha, Jeanne Burrows-Johnson, in Tucson, Arizona
The award winning book covers for the Natalie Seachrist Hawaiian Mysteries [as well as that for the forthcoming Conversations with Auntie Carol] were designed by Yasamine June. Her many talents include: Creative Direction; Fine art; Graphic Design; Illustration; Photography; Typography; and Videography. You can learn more about her at YasamineJune.com/about.
THANK YOU FOR DROPPING IN!
For fun, check out Island Recipes on the drop down menu above.
Wordsmithing help? Blog.JeanneBurrows-Johnson.com
Branding & development tips? Imaginings Wordpower and Design Consultation
Book sellers may contact distributors like: Baker & Taylor, Follett/TitleWave, IPG, Ingram, Midpoint
2017 NEW MEXICO-ARIZONA BOOK AWARDS
FINALIST, Mystery/Suspense ~ WINNER, Cover Art 6x9 Fiction
2018 ARIZONA LITERARY EXCELLENCE CONTEST
2nd PLACE, Published Fiction
2018 NEW MEXICO-ARIZONA BOOK AWARDS
FINALIST, Cozy Mystery ~ WINNER, Cover Art 6x9 Fiction
B O O K A W A R D
2019 NEW MEXICO/ARIZONA BOOK AWARDS
WINNER for Fiction, Adventure -Drama
Finalist f- Mystery Crime and Cover Design-Fiction (6x9)
Available for order through independent bookstores [they need our support],
Copyright © from 2010 Jeanne Burrows-Johnson - All Rights Reserved